Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 Writing Goals

I set goals for this past year and didn't quite make them :) My post was here.

Of the five items I had scribbled on the restaurant table cover with my crit partners, I made two of the five: I finished a rough draft on a fantasy novella (as yet unshopped and thus unpublished), and I didn't enter any contests on any unfinished novels :) The rest of the writing ended up on the backburner with a house move (man those things are time-sucks), plus the sale and release of The Paris Affair. Advertising and networking (aka dinking around on twitter and facebook and the like) are also time-sucks :)

For 2012, here are my goals. Maybe this time I should

New Words:
I am 21,xxx words into a re-write of my (never-previously-finished) sexy romantic suspense (Accomplice). I'm shooting for 50-60,000 words, so I'm about 1/3 of the way there. I need to finish this sucker. Jessica and Noah have been twiddling their thumbs for like 3 years now, waiting for me to get my act together.

I have too many ideas, and not enough time (or focus maybe). I have about 20k good words on a full-length (90-120k) fantasay novel that I would love to finish writing. And a few pages on another sci fi. After Accomplice, I need to work one of these.

Editing:
I need to thoroughly re-read and edit my fantasy novella (currently titled Call the Rain). And probably shop it around.

I also have some re-work to do on my sci fi romance Leap, plus its prequel Take Me Down (which as of today numbers about 10 pages of an eventual 300). Note to other authors: when writing a series you will do much less re-work if you start with book one and progress sequentially. Since I started with book two before I knew what happened in book one, I must now make book two follow book one in a logical fashion. And maybe try to sell them both.

Publishing Goals:
I would love to have published or at least contracted a minimum of one additional manuscript for 2012. Potential publishing houses have a variety to choose from:  romantic suspense, contemporaries, sci fi, fantasy...I'm sure they'll be banging down my door any minute now. Ahem. Moving right along.

Improving my Craft:
I set a goal on GoodReads to read 25 books this year, which should be a Very Do-able Goal. Want to sign yourself up? www.Goodreads.com.  While you're there, send me a friend request :).  I love seeing what everyone else is reading.

I would love to attend a conference this year. Maybe RWA nationals, maybe something closer to home. I have learned so much from the conferences and workshops I've attended the past few years, and I totally  missed going to RWA last summer.

What about you? Any goals? Feel free to share (or link!) I'd love to see what everyone else is doing.

No comments: