Friday, December 4, 2009

Looking back, looking forward

November was a slow month, writing wise. Well, word count wise. I did write new words, mainly on Leap. But I also did a lot of editing, and hand-wringing. I entered the Golden Heart with Leap, and owe my crit partners about a pound of chocolate for the help in polishing. One in particular (Amanda Berry, soon to be world-famous Silhouette Special Edition author) proof-read my entire entry, catching way more comma mistakes than I ever believe I'm making. Commas are the bane of my existence.

Preparing for, and angst-ing about my GH entry ate up about 3 weeks of my creativity. And then we went on a week-long vacation and I wrote NOTHING. Well, one lonely blog post on my other blog. I did lots of reading though (its research!) and even found enough of a wireless connection to read blogs and tweets a few of the days.

Now, I need to re-gain my momentum. Get back on schedule. Because its December, and there are fewer distractions. Right?

Ok, stop laughing.

So, yesterday I submitted my completed contemporary manuscript to an e-pub. I'm not holding my breath, but at this point, it really can't hurt me to try. If they say no, there are a few other e-pubs I have kicked around (though I'm limited because it was a sweet contemporary, not erotic...) And I keep trying (and failing) to draft a query letter for Leap (though I need to edit pages 51+ in case someone should actually request it...). I have Claire and Helmut waiting (though I suspect they've been keeping busy, seeing as how I left them alone in a hotel room...). And Jessica, from my suspended romantic suspense story, has boarded a grayound bus, and is taking a really really long ride.

And last night I penned about 400 words of another idea that's been brewing for the last two years. Something different. Historical. I haven't tried a historical yet. (Please refrain from rolling your eyes at the sheer number of sub-genres I've tried out so far). I've been dithering for a while whether to write it as a straight historical or a paranormal (magic, not aliens). I think I'm going steampunk. Late Victorian era with gaslights, telegraphs, steamer trains, clockwork. I have some ideas to warp some modern technologies into the technology of the era, and it would gain me that "magic" aspect that the story needs. I think I'll have to research this one, and probably plot it more than I usually do. So, dont' expect a word counter to appear just yet.

Besides, I have Claire and Helmut, plus Noah and Jessica to keep me busy for when I need to just pour out a story.

Here's hoping that I'll get my grove back over Christmas!

4 comments:

Robin Bielman said...

Good luck with the epub! Keep us posted. And happy writing! I'm in awe that you can juggle more than one manuscript at a time.

BriteLady said...

Thanks, Robin. Have I mentioned that I'm a little ADD? I have to work harder to really finish a manuscript (and then edit) than to start a new one. If I had a little less self control I think I'd have about 20 manuscripts each with about 20 pages written by now.

Robin Bielman said...

Kristi, it's much easier for me to start a new ms too, but I just can't leave one until I feel it's truly done. Although at the moment I *am* revising two manuscripts - one YA and one adult, so that's a little challenging having to switch gears.

I'm chomping at the bit to start my next one!

Amanda said...

Mwah! Big ole kiss for saying I'll be a world famous author. I wouldn't worry too much about genre until you sell one and just hope that that's the genre you actually like writing, because they will expect more. :)